Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Spin Doctors on Iraq?

While it has been stated that the American media is generally anti-Iraq war biased, I have held out hope that the media would at least recognize the good if (as) progress is made. The brave citizens of Iraq are in the middle of something which should be moving toward progress, and right or wrong the U.S. is involved. Historically, freedom is often bought with blood, and many Iraqi citizens seem to concur with Patrick Henry that the price is worth paying. How ironic, in light of our colonial heritage that the BBC titles their article on Iraq "Iraq voters back new constitution" when CNN titles their article "U.S. military death toll in Iraq reaches 2,000". I thought the British are the conservative and objective voice of the news, while the Americans are supposed to be optimists. What is going on?

Follow-Up: Hours later the BBC has put up the same AP article as CNN under the same title. I don't think I am back to square one though. I believe that the steps toward real freedom for the Iraq people should be more celebrated EVEN IF one disagrees about the beginnings of the war or the multi-national (or what is left of it) presence there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J. Hawthorne said...

"the media were among the Iraq War's strongest supporters"

At one time "the media were among the Iraq War's strongest supporters" Is that still true?

This article by you supplied a link to does not offer any evidence for his case. I did not offer much for mine either, but I coud. In fact, I would use the article you referenced because he is recomending books AGAINST THE WAR. The period in time when Kerry was for the war, is past. Kerry is publically against it now...but is that only because Bush is for it? Who knows?

At this time, when it seems that most people are against the war - according to recent polls - it seems a stectch to say that the media is the war. I have seen more stories against the war, than for it. Granted, this is not a strong documented argument at this state; however, I don't think I need to be "reminded" about anything. IF, you want to provide some evidence I am open to your claim.